Yamaha HS8 Review
Yamaha HS8: Is this 8-inch Powered Studio Monitor the Right One for You?
Yamaha HS8 has long been an absolute favorite of professionals. This studio monitor has been around for some time, but it’s still better than most of its competitors. Considering its price, Yamaha HS8 is definitely a bang for the buck.
The thing that makes it very popular among pros is its flat response, which is perfect for studio mixing. This device is also pretty impressive when it comes to the accuracy of the sound over a wide range of frequencies. In fact, this studio monitor works at the frequency range between 38 Hz and 30 kHz.
But, it’s not only professionals who can use this studio monitor. Thanks to the fact that it’s very easy to use, Yamaha HS8 is a monitor speaker that won’t cause you any problems if you’re a newbie in the world of studio recording.
Yamaha HS8 also looks very nice with its black body and white woofer that’s been a sort of trademark of Yamaha’s speakers. Speaking of Yamaha, it’s needless to say that this is one of the most reputable manufacturers of music equipment on the planet. That’s actually another reason why buying Yamaha HS8 sounds like a good choice – this studio monitor speaker is going to serve you well for years!
- 8” woofer & 1” tweeter – The color of the woofer is white, which makes Yamaha HS8 look pretty powerful. Speaking of power, its woofer is powered by an amplifier of 75 Watts. When it comes to the tweeter of Yamaha HS8, what powers it is a 45-Watt amp.
- Frequency response in the range of 38 Hz – 30 kHz – This speaker covers basically all the frequencies that the human ear can register, which is another reason why people love using it in music studios.
- Noise reduction – Thanks to the fact that there’s a rear-firing bass port, a reduction of unwanted noise is achieved. Actually, the bass distortion can be reduced as much as 6dB.
- Amazing design – The speaker is designed so that it enhances the quality of the sound. For example, all of the corners inside are joined using a special technique called the 3-way mitered-joint technique. It locks the corners entirely, thus reducing the sound resonance. It also improves the sturdiness of the entire speaker.
- MDF body – The body of Yamaha HS8 is made of a high-quality material called MDF, which stands for medium-density fiber, a type of engineered wood. This is something that adds to the accuracy of the sound produced by Yamaha HS8 even more.
- Easy controls – A great thing about Yamaha HS8 is that it is very easy to use. It’s all because this speaker has very easy controls. For instance, you can use the ROOM CONTROL setting if you wish to deal with unpleasant sounds that may occur if you place the speaker next to a wall. Also, if you wish to have a more control over audio at high frequencies, you can use the HIGH TRIM option.
- Warranty – Yamaha is giving a 1-year warranty on all of its monitor speakers, including Yamaha HS8. But, even when the warranty period is over, you shouldn’t feel too concerned about whether Yamaha HS8 will break. Yamaha’s products are famous for their durability.
- Top-quality sound – The fact that this monitor speaker can be commonly found in music studios is a proof that it’s great at reproducing top-quality sound.
- Impressive frequency response – Yamaha HS8 produces intensive bass, as well as clear audio at higher frequencies without any distortion.
- Nice design – Yamaha HS8, same as many other monitor speakers made by this company, comes with a white woofer. The body of the speaker is available in either black or white color.
- Quality-built – Yamaha famously manufactures music instruments and equipment that can last for a very long time. The same is the case with Yamaha HS8.
- Decent price – Considering how awesome Yamaha HS8 is in terms of performances, this is actually a very affordable studio monitor speaker.
- Yamaha HS8 works on 120v (not 220v) – Depending on the country where you live, the power might be 220v, so be very careful as Yamaha HS8 works on 120v. And if you’re not careful, you might end up burning it. The solution is quite simple, though. You just need to buy a transformer that will turn the 220v supply into 120v.
There aren’t many other studio monitor speakers that can compare to Yamaha HS8. Not only does it create the sound of a really breathtaking quality, this device is also very easy to control. So, even if you are not a professional, you will have no problems using this speaker. On top of that, Yamaha HS8 also looks very classy and is famously very sturdy and durable. The final reason why you should get it is that its price is pretty affordable.